Thursday, November 29, 2012

all better

Poor baby after surgery.  The purple wrap is around her IV. 
I can't believe I forgot to add this update to my last blog post.  Kendall had her tonsils/adenoids out a few weeks ago and I can finally say that she is feeling better.

We woke up very early on a Wednesday morning and headed to the same day surgery center for the procedure.  Kendall was OK with everything. We told her she was going to the doctor to help her throat feel better.  A quick side note: Kendall had her tonsils out after having strep throat (positive swab, not just a doctor's diagnosis based on symptoms) 4 times in 6 months.  It was getting ridiculous, Kendall was getting strep about every 6 weeks, during the spring and summer months!  We were referred to ENT and was scheduled to get them out.

Anyway, Kendall got some "silly juice" as I like to call it.  She got super loopy and was naming the Disney characters like she was high as a kite.  It was hilarious.  They took her back and she did a great job *during* surgery.  After surgery was a WHOLE other story.  After we met with the doctor, who said everything went well, she SCREAMED and SCREAMED and wouldn't stop.  Nothing would calm her down.  She kept screaming "I can't calm down!"  It was awful.  She was crying, I was crying, it was bad all around.  The nurse put something in her IV to calm her down, but no luck.  She still cried and screamed.  It is absolutely the worst thing in the world seeing your child in pain and being unable to calm her down.  The nurse gave ANOTHER dose of medicine to calm her down and finally she fell asleep for a little bit.  We had to stay at the clinic for about 2 hours after the surgery and it was pretty miserable the entire time. 

After we went home it was touch and go for a few days.  She was very whiny, had a lot of pain, and wouldn't eat anything.  The Tylenol gave her pain in her stomach and we cleaned up puke quite a few times.  Between Rick, his Mom and I, she stayed home 6 days to get better.  It was a very slow healing process and there were times I wondered why we agreed to do the procedure in the first place, but now looking back, it wasn't unbearable and the tough days slowly fade out of my memory.  She had her post-op visit and everything looked good.  The doctor commented how big her tonsils really were, but other then that, everything was good!

No comments:

Post a Comment